Now that you have chosen your contractor. You are confident that you have chosen a good contractor and you can’t wait to get started.
Now what? The first thing you need to do as you are getting started – define your project. What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this renovation? Clearly define your project. Determine your long term goals.
- When coming up with a remodeling plan here are some things you will want to consider:
- What part of your home needs to be redone and what parts do you want redone
- Determine your budget so that you can prioritize your needs and wants
- Keep your furniture in mind and make sure it fits in your design unless you plan on buying new furniture
- Go through magazines and save pictures of the ones you like
If you plan on keeping your home long term you have only your personal goals to consider. If you are looking to sell in the near future you want to make sure the improvements you are planning will add to the value of your home.
Write out a detailed description for yourself of your plan for this project and make sure you share this with your contractor.
Don’t be afraid to ask around for ideas. This can give you more realistic expectations and help you determine what you are looking for.